Monday, June 26, 2017

Seattle Chinese Garden

The Seattle Chinese garden is located next to the South Seattle Community College. It was easily accessible by public transportation. The garden was similar to the Lan Su Chinese Garden in Portland, Oregon and the Chinese Scholars' Garden on Staten Island in New York, and was specifically designed in the Sichuan style. 

西華園
Xī Huáyuán

When I arrived at the garden, I was disappointed to find that it was closed. I did not bother to check which days it was open prior to visiting. Undeterred, I decided to check out the grounds and peak through the windows. After a few moments, I encountered someone who was working with plantings nearby. It turned out he was the master gardener and manager of the site, Julian Leung. Originally from China, he shared with me some of the background on the garden. I informed him of my quest to visit gardens across North America, and he offered to open the garden and allow me access. Essentially he gave me a private tour. The interior of the "Knowing the Spring Courtyard" was very large and impressive. Mr. Leung pointed out the highlights of the hardscape, architecture, and plantings. He also brought me to the back of the structure to show me a penjing (bonsai) collection maintained by the garden. I was then given free reign to walk about the structure and the grounds. 

Some of the garden area along the side of the garden had been laid out, with some plantings already in place. However, the garden grounds as a whole appeared incomplete and unfinished. Although the plan is to build the garden in phases, it seems that the process will be a long one. Funds are needed to finish the garden, the plans for which are very elaborate, and I'm sure, costly. In the meantime, the existing structure and grounds is still worth a visit. Perhaps a rich high-tech benefactor may stop by one day and help the garden meet its completion goals.



The long-term plans for the garden are very impressive. However, I think completion of the entire garden as originally planned is going to be some time off in the future. 






























No comments:

Post a Comment