Friday, June 23, 2017

Kobe Terrace

During the summer of 2017, I decided to spend some time in Seattle, Washington. I realized there was a significant number of Japanese gardens in the Seattle area and across the state, so I decided to visit as many as I could.

The first garden I had a chance to visit was Kobe Terrace. The garden was located in the International District and easily reached by public transport (bus). The garden sits high on a hill and has nice views of the city. There is a community vegetable garden adjacent to the garden, and on the opposite side, a major highway (very noisy). The park was not well maintained. There was trash laying about, and many of the plantings were in need of care. There was also evidence that the garden was being occupied by homeless folks (I left these photos out). The large lantern at the top was a nice feature. Overall, the garden has potential, but needs some loving care. If you are in the area, its probably not going to be on the top of a "must-see" list, but for me it was the first of many that I would add to my Washington state list.










No comments:

Post a Comment