Monday, June 26, 2017

Kaibara Park

I visited the Kaibara Park in Kent. Getting there from Seattle via public transportation (bus) was a long process. The pictures below show what the garden looks like, but not the entire picture. 

This park was populated with a large number of "homeless" people. There was trash and human waste everywhere. Many of the large established trees and shrubs were being used as shelters in which to live. I did my best to take photos that did not reflect this - it wasn't easy. 

The entire time I was there, I was being watched closely and followed, as if an intruder into a territory in which I was not welcome - it was like a scene out of the "Grapes of Wrath." What bothered me most about the experience was the callous disregard from well-off members of the community who turned a blind eye to the misfortune of others. Its not enough to be liberal and tolerant, one must also be willing to take corrective action to help those who cannot help themselves - shelter, clothes, food are basic human rights. As someone who travels frequently to New York City, I am familiar with homelessness, but never in my life have I seen such a lack of compassion for other human beings than I have in my few days in Washington state. 

As a Japanese stroll and pond garden, the park has potential and looks as if it was designed to inspire a love of nature. Unfortunately, the garden is marred by the ugliness of the shameful behavior of the community, needy and well-to-do alike, who pass through its environs.

Visit with cation in mind, and do not do so alone.

Website: https://www.kentwa.gov/Home/Components/FacilityDirectory/FacilityDirectory/254/318









No comments:

Post a Comment