Sunday, August 19, 2018

Atsuko Hirai Lantern & Garden

I came across a small garden at Bates College in Maine. I wasn't sure if I was going to include this becuase essentially, it's a lantern. I have often said, a Japanese style lantern does not a Japanese garden make. However, this lantern is part of a small garden meant as a dedication to professor Atsuko Hirai, a Bates professor who passed away in 2014. The garden was dedicated in 2016. 

Website: https://www.maine-japan.org/?tribe_events=atsuko-hirai-lantern-and-garden-dedication


The garden was nice, and fit in well with the surrounding area outside the Olin Arts Center, the patio of which overlooks a large pond. Note: the lighting for photography was very bad. I was there very early in the morning and the building kept the lantern and garden covered in shade. I could not wait for the sun to move, hence the odd shaded images below.











No comments:

Post a Comment