Saturday, August 25, 2018

The Hammond Museum & Garden Stroll Garden

The Hammond Museum & Garden is not the first Japanese garden I have ever visited, but it is the first one I intentionally visited in the United States. 

I first visited back in 2011 in the very early spring when not much was in bloom, and in fact, the garden was still closed for the season - I entered anyway. 

n August of 2018, I had a chance to re-visit the garden. They were setting up for a "moon viewing" event that evening, so there were a lot of chairs and lanterns being set up, making it difficult to get good photos.



I was surprised to find the condition of the garden worse than my first 2011 visit. The Museum and Garden ara a non-profit organization, but it appeared to me that the garden was being allowed to lapse into a state of disrepair. I am sure the managers of the garden are doing their best with what limited resources they have at their disposal. However, the garden needs a wealthy patron willing to provide support in the form of fund raising or direct donation to revitalize this garden. The foundations of the garden are there, it just needs more love and care than it is currently receiving.


2011

2018










No comments:

Post a Comment